Make a Difference in the Lives of the Women We Serve - Now Hiring
The Red Tent Women’s Initiative, Inc. is seeking experienced and skilled Sewing Instructors to be available regularly, as needed, or per diem, working about 5 to 10 hours weekly or bi-weekly. The Sewing Instructor works with groups of incarcerated women in an in-jail and out of jail community setting. The ideal candidate will teach women how to sew, embroider, and create personal projects.
The ideal candidate encourages a culture of learning that values mutual responsibility, respect, life-long learning, ethics, and personal and professional development. Successful candidates must successfully complete a background screening and have a valid driver’s license.
The Sewing Instructor is a part-time, non-exempt position reporting to the Executive Director.
- Teach/instruct adult women, who are incarcerated, formerly incarcerated, or at risk of incarceration on basic project design activities
- Identify the learning capacity and needs of participants
- Facilitate sewing projects and/or classes according to guidelines
- Give instruction on how to create and assemble assigned projects
- Adhere to strict inventory guidelines, including maintaining work area, set by RTWI and our Program Partners, (the jail or facility) to ensure a safe environment
- Sewing experience is required
- Technical skills in pattern making, cutting, grading and garment construction a plus
- Enjoy working with others and teaching adults
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and compassion skills
- Creative thinking to suggest and enhance RTWI program curriculum and participant support
Qualifications, Skills, Experience:
Education: High school diploma or equivalent required. See qualifications, skills and experiences outlined in this announcement
Compensation: The position’s starting compensation will depend on qualifications and experience.
The Red Tent Women’s Initiative, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer who respects and empowers each individual and supports the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills and experiences within our workforce.